Town and Parish councils have elections for all their councillors every four years and the next elections for Tring Town Council will be May 2023. A Notice of Election will be published by the Dacorum Borough council at the start of the election. This gives details of the electoral areas, date and time of election, the number of councillors to be elected, and the timetable for submitting nomination papers.

Untitled Design (30)

How can you get involved?

  • Become a councillor 

You can become a councillor as long as you are:

  • A British citizen or a citizen of the Commonwealth or European Union 
  • At least 18 years old
  • Registered to vote in the area or have lived, worked or owned property there for at least 12 months before an election

You can’t be a councillor if you have a disqualification which includes: 

  • Working for the council you want to be a councillor for, or for another local authority in a politically restricted post 
  • Are the subject of a bankruptcy restriction order or interim order 
  • Have been sentenced to prison for three months or more (including suspended sentences) during the five years before election day 
  • Have been convicted of a corrupt or illegal practice by an election court
  • You are subject to the notification requirement of or under Part 2 of the Sexual Offences Act 2003. 
Untitled Design (29)

Full details of the eligibility and disqualification requirements can be found on the  websites below. 

As a local councillor, your residents will expect you to:

  • Respond to their queries and investigate their concerns 
  • Communicate council decisions that affect them
  • Know your area  and be aware of any problems
  • Know and work with representatives of local organisations, interest groups and businesses


Councillors play a key role in the town. They are a voice representing local people and communities. They are champions of the users of local services and help shape future services for the benefit of local people. They work in partnership with other organisations and they play a major role in making local government work by developing a better quality of life for the people of Tring.  

Next Steps:

  • Decide whether to represent a party or stand as an independent candidate
  • Submit your nomination papers
  • Plan your campaign

These websites give you answers to questions such as whether your are eligible to stand for election and how to get involved:


A nomination paper must be received in person to be able to formally accept it, therefore please do not email or post them.

Nomination papers can be received from the 22nd of March until 4pm on the 4th of April. An appointment needs to be made with the team via er@dacorum.gov.uk to deliver any nomination papers to ensure we have someone available.

Download Nomination Pack for Parish Councillors (Tring Town Council)

Download Nomination Pack for Borough Councillors (Dacorum Borough Council)

Nominate a candidate for election

All nomination papers require a signature from two (one proposer, and one seconder) registered electors within the parish. Candidates must consent to the nomination. 


The Town council elections won’t decide the future of the whole of the country or change Britain’s relationship with the world. However they are a chance for you to vote to elect a councillor who will represent your interests. After all, the candidate chosen will be influencing Council decisions and will be responsible for how public money is spent in the town.  

For more information on how to register to vote please visit the Dacorum Borough Council website.

Residents need photo ID to vote at elections in May

For the first time, voters will need to show photographic ID to vote in polling stations at this year’s local elections. Residents are being urged to make sure they are ready to vote in May by checking they have an accepted form of ID.

Residents voting by postal vote do not need photographic ID. Anyone who does not have one of the accepted forms of ID will be able to apply for free ID online at www.gov.uk/apply-for-photo-id-voter-authority-certificate or by completing a paper form.