Frequently Asked Questions

Many of the calls to the Information Centre are to report problems with local services; most services are provided by Dacorum Borough Council (DBC) which can be contacted on 01442 228000 or at

You will find answers to some other common enquiries below.

Blue Badges for Disabled People

Where do I apply for a Blue Badge for parking?

Application forms are obtainable from Hertfordshire County Council, Adult Care Services. Telephone 0300 123 4042 or visit


How do I arrange a burial at Tring cemetery?/Where do I find information about burials that have taken place at Tring cemetery?

Telephone the Cemeteries Department of Dacorum Borough Council on 01442 228066 or write to DBC, Woodwell Cemetery, Buncefield Lane, Hemel Hempstead, HP2 7HY.

Childminders and Nurseries Register

Where can I get a list of childminders and nurseries?

Telephone the Children, Parents and Families Department at Hertfordshire County
Council on 0300 123 4052.

Church Square

How do I hire Church Square for a charity event?

Find out here

Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB)

Is there a CAB in Tring?

The Tring office is closed. Citizens Advice Dacorum is at The Forum, Marlowes, Hemel Hempstead (HP1 1DN). Drop-in sessions (no appointment necessary) 9.30am to 12 noon on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.

Berkhamsted CAB (at Civic Centre, 161 High Street, Berkhamsted HP4 3HD) holds drop-in sessions on Wednesdays 9.30am-12 noon. For more information go to their website:

Tel: 03444 111 444 – Public Advice Line.


Clean, Safe, Green team at Dacorum

These can help with queries about street cleanliness, dog fouling, litter problems etc. Go to clean-safe-green for more information.

Council Housing

Where do I ring to report an urgent job that needs doing at my house?

If you are a DBC tenant, telephone the emergency line 08000 186050.

Dacorum Borough Council’s Tring office: Victoria Hall, Akeman Street

Open Monday 9am-12.30pm and 1.30pm-5pm; Tuesday closed; Wednesday 9.30am-2pm; Thursday closed; Friday 9.30am-2pm


Electoral Roll

Where can I see the electoral roll?

There is a copy of the local electoral roll at the DBC Offices in Victoria Hall,  Akeman Street, Tring.


Does anyone collect unwanted furniture so that it can be re-used by those in

British Heart Foundation: tel: 0844 248 9107 (also collect electrical items).

Family History

My family used to live in Tring. Where can I find useful information about my
family history?

Try the following sites:-

Land Registry

Where can I get information about who owns a piece of land?

The Land Registry with information about Hertfordshire is in Stevenage.

Telephone: 0844 892 1111.


The ‘free access’ noticeboards in Tring are located at:

Dolphin Square (the locked white, glass-fronted one, is not accessible to us: It’s owned by Tring Arts Trust and access is via Steph in Almar’s)

Forge Car Park – on the wall of the toilet block!

Christchurch Road shops

Silk Mill Way Community Centre

Corner of Miswell Lane/Western Road

Corner of Station Road/Brook Street

Wingrave Road, New Mill (between Elizabeth Drive and Sutton Close)


There is information on Dacorum Borough Council’s Parking in Dacorum page about various aspects of parking in the Borough at Dacorum’s Parking Centre can also be contacted by post at The Parking Centre, PO Box 921, Hemel Hempstead HP1 1ZP or visited at the Civic Centre, Marlowes, Hemel Hempstead HP1 1HH. The telephone number is 01908 223505. The Parking Centre is open Monday-Friday 9am-5.30pm, Saturdays 9am-1pm.


Where can I see the plans for the building work that my neighbours are doing?

If the building work requires planning permission, the plans should be available
for inspection at the Planning Department, the Civic Centre, Marlowes, Hemel
Hempstead. Telephone 01442 228000 and ask to speak to the Planning Department.
The application details may be viewed online; see the planning page.

If the plans are recent, a copy of the plans may still be available for
inspection at Tring Town Council; contact the Information Centre.

If the plans are new and you have just been notified and if they are in the area
administered by Tring Town Council, you can inspect them online at  should be able to inspect them at Tring
Town Council, contact the Information Centre. For plans in other DBC areas,
contact the relevant local parish council.

Why are some planning applications granted, despite many objections?

The Local Planning authority must base its decision on planning considerations.
These could include such things as impact on the area (parking, loss of open
space or traffic), effect on amenity (such as sunlight, loss of privacy and
excessive disturbance). The following would not normally constitute material
planning considerations: devaluation of property, boundary disputes, nuisance
during construction, land ownership rights (including Ancient Lights),
restrictive covenants, structural details. Many of these would be subject to
legislation other than planning or are matters to be resolved between adjoining
land owners, not the Local Planning Authority.

Why do I have such short notice of the Planning Meeting?

The Local Planning Department at DBC has to adhere to a strict timetable. It
sends letters to neighbours and at the same time sends copies of the plans to
Tring Town Council who must consider the plans and make their recommendation
within 14 days. Tring Town Council meets every two weeks to discuss plans in
order to keep to this timetable. Plans received only one working day before the
meeting are usually deferred until the next meeting. However, amended plans
cannot be deferred and must be considered as soon as possible.

Play Areas in Tring

There is a newly equipped children’s play area at Mortimer Hill, Tring (on the field next to Tring School) which re-opened on 13 July 2012. There are also play areas at Sutton Close, Tring (off the Wingrave Road) and at Miswell Lane, Tring (access through gate by 86 Miswell Lane, or from Goldfield Road). For older children, there is a Skate Park on the London Road, opposite Tesco.


To contact the police for non-emergencies dial 101. Tring Police Station has no front counter service, but there is a free public telephone outside the Police Station at 63 High Street, Tring, which you can use to contact the police. In an emergency, call 999.

Public Toilets

Where is the nearest public toilet?/The public toilets are out of order.

The nearest public toilets are at the entrance to the Forge Car Park off the High Street. If anyone reports that they are out of order and there is no notice on site from DBC, telephone Tony Moore at DBC on 01442 228343.


Where is the Registrar of Births Marriages and Deaths for Tring?

The Bury, Queensway, Hemel Hempstead HP1 1HR. Telephone 01442 426740.

Rights of Way

Who should I contact about a footpath that is blocked?

Telephone Clayton Rae, DBC Rights of Way Officer, on 01442 228356.

Road/Highway Maintenance

Where do I report a hole in the road or a streetlight not working?

Contact Hertfordshire County Council Highways on 0300 123 4047 or go to

If you want to claim for damage to your vehicle caused by  a pothole in the public highway in Herts, Hertfordshire Highways advise that you should call 0300 123 4047 and ask for a claim number. They will advise you of next steps.


Where should I report that my dustbin has not been emptied?

Telephone DBC Cupid Green Depot on 01442 867858.

Tring Memorial Garden

Contact Robert Cassidy, Parks & Open Spaces Officer at Dacorum Borough Council on 01442 228853 or email

Wheelchair loan

Where can I hire a wheelchair?

Go to the Red Cross website and enter your postcode to find the nearest location from which to borrow/hire a wheelchair.